Prioritize Your Self-Care Routine at Over 55 Communities in Texas
It’s Important to Take Care of Yourself
The topic of self-care has become increasingly popular in the last few years–but what is it? Self-care can be defined as anything you do to take care of yourself mentally, physically, and emotionally. It looks different for everyone–for some, it’s creating, and for others, it’s adventuring. The good news is that since various activities constitute self-care, there are many options to explore what works for you.
Whatever activities you choose, it’s important to establish a routine, like taking at least 30 minutes a day for one or two chosen activities, to help maintain a healthy relationship with yourself. Sunshine Retirement Living’s 55 plus communities in Texas offer ample opportunities for residents to engage in self-care and thrive. Keep reading to learn about a few benefits of self-care and self-care opportunities in our communities.
Benefits of Self-Care
1. It reduces stress and anxiety. Engaging in self-care can help ground yourself and take your mind off of any stressors you are experiencing, in turn allowing you to relax.
2. It can promote healthy relationships. Self-care is necessary for living a happy and healthy life– if you don’t care for yourself, how can you care for others? Self-care can help improve your relationship with yourself, making you more welcoming and empathetic to other people and allowing for more healthy relationships.
3. It can improve physical health. Incorporating a healthy diet and exercise into your self-care routine can improve your overall physical health– small, consistent changes can make a huge difference! Ultimately, it can help prevent chronic stress from taking a toll on your body and mind.
Prioritizing Self-Care at Our Texas Active & Memory Care Communities
1. Enjoy delicious, nutritious dining. At Sunshine Retirement Living communities in Texas, our residents can enjoy meals specially designed to help foster health, community, and enjoyment. Our talented chefs and staff prepare thoughtful meals with local fresh ingredients, providing residents with top-notch meals. Plus, they are always happy to meet any resident’s special dietary needs!
2. Engage in daily exercise opportunities. We offer a wide variety of exercise classes in our communities– there’s something for everyone. From armchair yoga to Zumba to beanbag baseball, our residents have plenty of ways to get moving!
3. Get your creative juices flowing. For many people, expressing themselves is grounding and allows them to forget many other things. We offer regular art classes in our communities, such as painting, knitting, crafting, holiday decorating, and art events. If residents prefer to get creative by themselves, our outdoor gardens and courtyards make peaceful spaces for creating and journaling.
4. Practice good hygiene. When you look good, you feel good! At Sunshine Retirement communities, we offer many amenities to help you stay fresh, such as hair salons and spa activities. Plus, we offer assistance to our residents with grooming and housekeeping to ensure everyone has a tidy, refreshing living space.
5. Find a new hobby. It’s never too late to find a new hobby that you’ll love. Painting, knitting, gardening, billiards, cooking– there are endless activities to fall in love with at our Sunshine Retirement Living communities in Texas!
6. Mend your mind. Take some time to work on your mental health! From sensory therapy to yoga in the courtyard to meditation, there are many opportunities for residents to work on promoting a healthy mind.
These are just a few ways to practice self-care; others include journaling, getting a massage, spending time in nature, reading, writing, taking breaks from electronics, attending a religious service, or practicing positive self-talk. So whether you already have a healthy self-care routine or want to find something that works for you, our Sunshine Retirement Living communities in Texas are happy to help provide you with plenty of opportunities.
Autumn means colder weather, and that could also mean flu season too! It is important to stay warm and safe this season, especially because family and friends are traveling for the holidays!
If you are visiting someone or plan to, make sure you are layering your clothes or dressing appropriately for the weather, staying on top of your health by eating nutritious food, staying active, and getting proper rest. Don't forget to wash your hands and utilize hand sanitizer in public spaces!
Thanksgiving is tomorrow, and that means food and family! People have different ways to prepare for Thanksgiving.
Some plan out a list, down to the activities and conversations that can take place at the dinner table. These people also take out the recipe books and follow the directions to a tee! Others may take the go-with-the-flow approach and wing it! That includes recipes too.
Which group are you in? No matter your approach, we hope that this holiday season is a fulfilling one!